Monday, October 21, 2013

My dearest friend: Rye Whiskey



Dear Rye Whiskey and Bitters,

You are the one for me; you calm my nerves and allow me to think clearly even if I have made poor decisions under your tutelage.  I accept and take full responsibility for my actions.  You are and will always be my cocktail of choice.  Your name is synonymous with my city Manhattan.  I drink you stirred straight up and you have never let me down.  

Dates mostly surround themself with booze and when we choose our goto drink it's a tone setter of its own accord.  I find myself catching people not knowing who they are or what they want because the decision making process is complicated.  Don't be corrupted and confused, find your niche; belly up with head held high and shoulders back.  I often reference a date experience where I met a girl at a dope bar, she ordered espresso martini to set the tone.  Piss poor decision on her part as we finished our cocktails and I paid the check.  I preceded to hail her a taxi and tell her to lose my number.  I was shocked and appalled at her choice, it immediately put my mind at ease as I didn't have to waste anymore time with this clam.  

My all time favorite cocktail bar in Manhattan was formerly known as Milk and Honey.  It was a Sasha Petraske brain child and he nailed it.  I spent countless nights at his bar feeling like Mick or David Bowie were bound to walk in at any moment.  The rules of his lair were the finest that I had encountered.  Reservations and Membership were a staple, no phones, no hats, no noise and surely no approaching someone in a manner of hopeful hookup.  

The good news for you is the space can still be visited in a different way but just as perfect.  Sam Ross and Michael McIlroy are very close friends of mine and I adore their skill set.  They worked closely with Sasha as bar tenders at Milk for 8 years and when Milk moved up town they took over.  Sam and Mick are prophets from lands far away, Sam from Austrailia and Michael from Belfast.  They always take me and my friends to a place of comfort and the experience is second to none.  It's so much better than everywhere else.  

On your next date, start or finish here...  Attaboy is located on Eldridge street just south of Delancey.  Find it and find out why I have called it home since the early 2000's.  

Penicillin and GreenPoints are tasti delights and the brown whiskey selection is beyond ones imagination.  It's the epitome of Manhattan.   Go and find out for yourself and smile in the presence of the coolest dudes I know.  

Cheers,

AT. 

No comments:

Post a Comment